Paddles

• Phil
  • Phil's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #19 by Phil
Replied by Phil on topic Paddles
Rolling in the Deep - Southbourne 29 May 2019

We thought it was about time to get out of the pool so we took the short boat out for some rolling practice on Tuesday in a light swell off Southbourne but it rapidly turned into 'who could wear the daftest headgear' nerdoff. My snowboard helmet, forgotten carabina and swimgoggle combo (usually a clear winner) was trounced by David's rubber helmet & Aquasphere comedy stylings.

First off was rolling practice (we are both prettty much the same at that), until we realised that first off should have been bailing out so that drowning featured a lot less in the afternoon.

Modern boats have large coamings so getting out whilst upside down is a damn sight easier that it used to be.

The initial shock of the cold water over, we were happy enough in and out of the boat for an hour or so - 3.2mm wetsuits, boots, rashgaurd and in my case a Ping golfing jacket (short arms and no elastic so it drains straight away).

Then off to play in the shore break, confidence boosted by the exit plan. That's why I was wearing a helmet - you can really whack your head if you get tumbled up the beach in a boat even just on the sand (try punching it)

The surf wasn't at all demanding but it was good practice in getting off the wave just before the break (by a bow rudder to pull the front of the boat through the wave and keeping your body weight leaning into/over it so you don't get munched).

All in a great hour or two playing in 15 degree water with the sun shining through rain clouds (which seems to be the way of things these days) - I think surfing short boats and SUPs will be a recurring feature this summer.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Phil. Reason: typos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil
More
4 years 10 months ago #13 by Phil
Replied by Phil on topic Paddles
We did this same trip Sunday 25th May but this time we also went upstream to Two Rivers - river canoeing is a totally different experience and this stretch was especially beautiful.

We will do the round trip to Iford bridge very soon - that's well worth coming along to if you have your own boat

• Phil
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #12 by Phil
Paddles was created by Phil
Tuckton to Mudeford and Back May 2019

We had a good fast paddle on Sunday down from Tuckton across Christchurch Harbour to land at Mudeford Beach Café recently

Coming back was tougher as the outgoing tide caught us but we were fortunate to miss the heavy storm that hit Westbourne and Ashley Cross - 2 hours of heavy rain

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Phil.

Time to create page: 1.843 seconds